RSP is an official Oceanworks® member offering products made with certified recycled ocean plastics. Oceanworks® verifies the supply of recycled plastics from oceans, beaches, rivers, and shores. Utilizing recycled plastic in your product helps remove waste from reaching the oceans and has a positive environmental and social impact around the globe.
Ocean plastic is currently available in HDPE, PET, and PP. The material molds very similarly to virgin (newly processed) material, so it can be easily substituted. In a variety of test-molded projects, RSP has successfully replaced ocean plastic in each case by adjusting molding parameters.
Depending on the exact material and color selected, the material price may vary only 5–25% from virgin plastic. In one test case, using ocean plastic even saved an RSP client money over virgin plastic. The material price is only one factor in the quoted price of molded plastic, so the average overall increase in price is often only 2–5%.
RSP is now using recycled ocean plastics for manufacturing several consumer products, including a reusable packaging solution and a beach-focused entertainment device. These clients get not only the benefits of helping the earth but also the ability to tell their brand story in a different way, catering to their clientele and gaining customers who are seeking sustainably made products.
Each year, millions of tons of plastic waste enter the oceans. Could your brand be part of the solution?
Here are some additional facts:
- Over 8 million tons of plastic waste enter the oceans each year.
- Plastic has been found in over 700 species including 84% of sea turtles and 44% of all seabirds.
- Global plastic production exceeds 3 million tons per year and only 10% is recycled.
- 90% of plastic sinks once it reaches the oceans.
- Oceanworks® and RSP equip brands with the ability to use authentic ocean plastic as easily as virgin plastic.
- Plastic is collected from oceans, beaches, rivers and coastal shores and can be authenticated by collection location.
Join us in creating an alternative for your industry! Please contact an RSP sales rep for more details.